Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Caffeine and Mozart

This week I've decided that I want to quit caffeine "cold turkey". Those of you that know me well, know that I have at least five Diet Dr Peppers a day. That's alot of caffeine. It probably isn't "smart" to quit cold turkey, but I feel that I can't do it any other way, I've tried. Caffeine withdrawal is NOT fun. Yesterday was the worst day (I started on Sunday). I came home from school with a horrible headache and went to sleep from 3-5. Then I made it to the couch where I ordered a pizza. I don't like pizza. I never order pizza, but I could not get up, I was hungry and Papa Johns was the only place that delivered to my house. I was amazed at how bad I felt. The lights, sound, and any movement hurt. I ate a piece of pizza and went back to bed at 8PM where I tossed and turned all night.

I think I may give up this "cold turkey" thing and have ONE right after school just so I can make it through my piano lessons. But no more after that!

Now, I knew that I would have headaches (not this bad though), but what I did not know was how impatient I would be. Lack of patience, and horrible headaches are not a good combination for a music teacher that is teaching recorders to elementary students. Not to mention that this is the most stressful time of the year for me b/c of our Harnett Off Broadway show (which is amazing!). I have been so snappy with my students this week and I kinda feel bad.

Which [kinda] leads to another story. This week we are "Drawing the Music" in my 3rd and 4th grade classes. We're discussing the different feelings music can give us, listening to four very different types of music, and drawing a picture that describes the feeling that you have when you hear the music. Our second song is Twinkle Twinkle Little Star or "12 Variations On 'Ah, Vous Dirai-Je, Maman" by Mozart. I told a 4th grade class that he started writing music when he was five years old.....
to which a student replied, "Who's that? Does he go to our school".
Me- "No honey, Mozart does not go to our school. He is a famous composer"
Child- "Oh, so he works in construction?"
Me- "What? oh, Never-mind."

Sometimes I feel like I've failed them miserably as a music teacher. Never-mind the fact that we studied Mozart for two weeks back in October.

8 comments:

Kim Hodges said...

lol ... don't you just have a list of caddy remarks you want to say to those kids, but probably shouldn't?! Sorry about the caffeine withdrawal. You can do it! But I think one a day is just fine. :)

Nicole B. Guthridge said...

honey, kids are kids, they can only take in so much at once...so don't worry, they'll soak it in eventually! keep up the work with caffeine, i know it's rough, but you can do it, maybe try tricking yourself with caffeine free ddp.

Anonymous said...

That's pretty funny. Sorry about the DDP addiction. I think you inherited that from me. :( Sounds like the headache might have been a little more than withdrawal. Lots of colds and flu going around. Take care. Love you!

Tiffany Rose said...

Yep, I DO still drink Caffeine Free DDP.... two in the morning and one in the afternoon. It does kinda "trick" my mind into waking up but it does NOT get rid of the headaches :(

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, you made me laugh so hard! Not about the caffeine withdrawal part, but the story of your student and Mozart. Paul and Leanne are here and I was reading your story to her. We all got a chuckle out of that. How's the "no caffeine" thing going now? Keep it up - it will get better.

Deborah said...

You are so good to get off of caffeine! I wish I could say you've inspired me to do the same, but after reading about your withdrawl-headache, I think I'll stick to my addiction. :)

Stefanie said...

Music, and everything that surrounds music such as history and theory, can be very tough to grasp. I recall having to take one of my music history classes twice in college...But I promise you, there is one that you reached and that's all that matters!

Tiffany said...

Try an aleve or asprin or motrin or something in the morning for the first week or two. Then you won't need it anymore. That's the ONLY way I can get off of caffeine without suffering huge headaches. It'll at least let you function! You can do it!