During our 13 week 2day ultrasound scan we had a NT scan. One of the purposes of this scan is to figure a risk ratio for Down Syndrome. On Thursday I received a call from my doctor saying that I need to call him "immediately" regarding lab results. He went onto say that I would have to leave a message but they would call back as soon as possible. I freaked out. I'm not sure if it's the extra hormones, the fact that it is my first baby, how the intense the doctor sounded on the phone or a mixture of all three, but I did freak out. I was at work, but luckily I had no music classes that day and was covering for other teachers in the classroom. I called txtd Todd and called mom at work. I know it probably wasn't the best to call mom while she was at work without more detailed information, but I just needed to talk to her. I was scared. That test, tests for MANY things, so my mind went to the worst..... "can I carry full term", "can my baby live outside my womb".... I. Was. Scared.
I was scared for SIX hours. After calling twice on the number he gave, once on his cell phone, and several other times on other numbers for the office he FINALLY called back at 2:30. It was a very stressful and emotionally draining day.
The results: Our lab results came back at a higher risk for down syndrome. While this is not "good news", after worrying about all of the "worsts", I was a little relieved. It was the best of the bad news. I am now labeled high risk but let's hope not for long. We have another ultrasound between 18-20weeks where they will take several measurements and reassess the risk. Of course, I will keep you all updated with the new lab results.
So, has any of this happened to you ladies? Many of you that read my blog have children and was just curious if this had ever happened to any of you? Some "happy ending" stories would be great to hear right now!
UPDATE: The next test is not until November 10th. I do have a regular monthly appointment on October 16th, but wil not have any results at that time.
This is the 16 week belly and my new maternity skirt..... sooo comfy! :)

4 comments:
Oh bless you, Tiffany! I cannot imagine the terror inside you must have felt for those six hours. Our prayers will be with you.
Oh goodness, the beginning of this blog post totally freaked me out. But glad the news isn't the worst. Risk is all it is at this point. You could very well have a very healthy baby. Keep positive!
I've heard that early possible positives are very common and many times turn into nothing. But I'll certainly be praying! Love the skirt!! Where did you get it?
You're lookin' pretty cute, Tiff!
Post a Comment