Saturday, November 03, 2012

Cloth Diapers

Most of you won't be a bit interested in this post but there has to be at least one person who find the info interesting... or who knows, maybe even helpful!! :)  (If you're not into cloth diapering scroll to the bottom for some CUTE Halloween Pics.) 

My little man: the reason I cloth diaper.  There are no chemicals in these diapers, they are soft on his skin, and (believe it or not) it saves us money so we can spend on other things!  I could go on and on about the benefits of cloth diapering, but for us the main reason is to SAVE MONEY!  Just another way to cut the budget.
 This is my cloth diaper stash (well most of it).  I have nine newborn diapers in storage, 14 diapers I'm trying to sell, and four diapers that I keep in the car and diaper bag. 
This picture makes me happy.


 This is my favorite diaper right now.  It's and AI2 (I'll explain later) and made by a WAHM (Work At Home Mom).  WAHM diapers are usually more expensive, but they fit better and prevent leaks better!
 This is also a new favorite... of course b/c it's a monster diaper for my River Monster. 
 These are also WAHM diapers and are pocket diapers.  I love these prints, but haven't been able to use them enough to tell if they are a "favorite".

So now I'll get into the different kinds of diapers and why I like or dislike them.  Before I start there is a diaper that I didn't include, mainly b/c I forgot b/c I don't use it much. It's called an AIO (all in one), you don't have to stuff it, you don't have to cover it, you just put it on like a disposable and that's it! They are easy, but we only have one b/c I like the others better. :)


 Pocket diaper:  I have alot of these as I can find them at a GREAT price!  They are easy, when I wash the diapers I stuff the pocket with an insert then fold so they are ready to snap on when needed.  If I use them for nap time I usually put another insert in.  

 AI2 (all in 2): These are quickly becoming my favorite diapers.  They have a very absorbent insert that snaps into the diaper.  If the insert is the only thing soiled then you can just change the insert. They rarely leak and have a pretty slim fit.
This is a hybrid diaper.  It is like the AI2 except that the outside isn't water proof, it is water resistant. It's ok for around the house with leg warmers, but I wouldn't put clothes over top or use it during sleep time without a cover.  However, with a cover it is my favorite night time diaper.  (Yes this one has fairies on it, I thought it was a "space" diaper when I ordered it... oops.)
 This is a G-Diaper (the brand name). I guess you'd call these an AI3 or a type of "Flip Diaper"?  These are Todd's favorite diapers, they are easy to put on and most of the time you only have to change the insert!  They are velcro which makes them easy to fit.  They are not great sleeping diapers but great for around the house b/c I can just change the insert and not have as much laundry to do.
 These are our One Size Fitted Diapers and a prefold (the "old fashion kind").  These are my night time diapers.  We recently had to put Riv in disposables at night b/c of extremely acidic urine. With these you use the diaper then snap on a cover.  The prefolds work the best at night and almost NEVER leak!
 These are my wipes.  This is probably the most inexpensive way to do wipes.  I bought several packages of baby washclothes from Walmart for .99 each.  Purchased a flour container in the kitchen section and shoved them all in there.  Now I use these wipe solution cubes which I'm sure I could easily make on my own. I used use 2C of hot water, 1tbs baby oil and 1/2Tbs of baby shampoo. It works just as well, but I like the smell of the wipe solution cubes better.

This is how I store my diapers. 

River likes to help. 
When I take a diaper off I take the insert out, fold the velcro together for the wash and dump them in this diaper pail.  If they are a "dirty" diapers then I rinse off the big stuff and put it in the diaper pail.  I do laundry about every two weeks and yes, when the lid is open and when I dump them in the washer they are VERY stinky.  
To wash, I run them on two HOT rinse cycles and then I wash them with safe cloth diaper detergent. 
 Alot of people think that this cloth diapering is ancient, and would be horrible. But I'm here to tell you it is not! It can be easy, fun, addicting and even the best thing for you little ones skin!  Give it a try and if you ever have questions, I'm always here to help!  I LOVE talking about CDs.


Now for the cuteness.... here's our little Haloween Turtle!  This year was so much fun b/c he knew what was going on.

 He learned out to say "trick or treat" very quickly when he realized that someone would be candy in his bucket!
Happy Halloween!!!


1 comment:

Stefanie said...

Um, yeah, the turtle is super cute! Cloth diapering is overwhelming. I don't get it, and I feel like it would be a lot, but I would be interested in giving it a try, at least every now and then...