I went to a meeting today for all the K-5th grade teachers in the county. While there my superintendent made me aware of an amazing fact: Harnett County is the 7th fastest growing county in the NATION. IN THE NATION... not the sate but the NATION! WOW! That totally explains alot. We are up to around 630 in our school that holds about 400. keep in mind that we only teach 3rd-5th grade at our school and the building is set smack in the center of huge tobacco fields. Where do all the kids come from?!?!? Another elem. school had to put a CAP on their enrollment b/c they are up to 1200 in a school that was made to hold 800. This of course made our enrollment go up tremendously this evening during open house when these poor children went back to their school and the principal said,"sorry you can't go here we have too many students".... so they come to the next closest school... South Harnett. We now have up to 32 5th graders in ONE classroom!!! The lowest 5th grade classroom has 29. How in the world are we going to do this? The worst part is that there isn't "enough money" for another teacher at our school!!! WHAT?!?! so what are we supposed to do when the classes get over the LEGAL limit? just start sending kids away?!?! We are a PUBLIC school... we can't do that!!! Anyway... I just wanted to share that concern of mine.
Another question: Why do I (the MUSIC teacher) have to go to a 3hr meeting about the new READING curriculum when I will not see that reading book EVER again? Why does OUR school have to 100% participation for that reading meeting when no one even takes a ROLE to see who is there? Why? I don't get it. Maybe this is why we haven't reached our Annual Yearly progress goals for the past two years. Hummm... b/c our music, art, writing, math and science teachers are too busy in a 3hr meeting about READING to modify our lessons for students to learn better.
Another question: Is it alright for one adult to tell ANOTHER adult, "Because I said So." for a reason you have to do something? When I asked the purpose of us going to these meetings I couldn't be given one. SO when I asked why I had to be there instead of working in my room I was told, "Because I said so!". Do I look like I'm 5 yrs old?!? I don't think so. GRRRRRR.... workplaces can really put a damper on trying to live the christian life, can't they?!?!?!
5 comments:
Haha, LOVE the picture, Tiff! :) I definitely remember going to meetings like that and thinking, "WHY am I here?" Congrats on suffering through it. :)
How condescending! John taught high school music for a couple of years when we were in CO, and he was told he had to go to those same types of meetings. He finally just told the principal that he would not be going to those meetings because they did not apply to him whatsoever. Of course, no one else wanted to teach high school choir, so his job was pretty safe.
I'm not necessarily suggesting that, but John totally understands where you're coming from!
awww...I'm sooo sorry Tiff =(... Just think....In two weeks you'll be at the Lake with family (and me) hehe!!!! I love you and can't wait to see you!!
Hannah
Just to let everyone know; I DID NOT draw that picture. The Art teacher from my school drew that for me! :) I can NOT take the credit for that one!
Your Momma totally understands too. We just spent 3 days in reading meetings about teaching techniques we already use. Like C...say /k/...a...say /a/...t...say /t/...Now blend them all together and you have CAT. NO KIDDING!!!!!AAAARRRRRGH!!! Mom
Post a Comment