Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Story and Pictures

Here's the story for those of you that are interested:

Tuesday night at about 11:15PM (after a pedicure and a new technique tried out by my chiropractor), I was sitting on the couch and sneezed.  I thought I "peed a little", but it didn't stop! I went to the bathroom and called back into the living room to mom and Todd, "ummm guys, I  think that was my water". I ran upstairs where I had more "provisions", and as I was going upstairs I was sure it was my water.  But it stopped, and it wasn't a huge gush, but I knew it was my water. I debated on what to do, should I go, stay home? I had been told that if my water broke I had to go in asap, but at this point I was second guessing if it was my water or not since it stopped.  But we decided to go just to check and see.  When we got to the hospital (on the way in) I was absolutly sure it was my water, b/c the "gush" finally came! I was rushing up to labor and delivery b/c I was worried I was going to make a mess everywhere.

We got to L&D and I felt like we were there forever. They lost my paperwork and birth plan (and never found it).  So I was there waiting way longer than I needed to be. I was very frustrated and just wanted to be moved to a room where both mom and Todd could be with me.  Finally around 1:30am they put us in a room. Contractions had started, but not bad.  I was told to walk to try to get them more frequent and stronger.  We did this until about 4am, contractions were getting stronger and more painful. 



But.... when I was checked again I was still only 3cm! (I had been 3cm for two weeks now). I was so frustrated. I couldn't believe that all the walking, contractions and pain did NOTHING. I was VERY discouraged. I stayed in bed, it's kinda like I gave up. They started pitocin at this point and it was NOT fun. They kept increasing the pitocin b/c I wasn't dilating like they wanted me to.  Finally after what I thought were the most painful contractions I could stand, I finally made it to only 5cm (this was around 9am).  I realized at this point that I was only 1/2 way, they were going to up the pitocin and I just couldn't do it!  I was exhausted (had been up for over 24 hrs at this point and realized I needed pain meds.  I cried (twice) when I realized that I needed the epi. I wanted so badly to do it without the pain meds, and I was so disappointed in myself that I couldn't. Todd and mom reassured me that it was fine. I don't regret it now, but I do still wish I was strong enough to have done it without.  Oh well.

I had to wait another 45min-hr for the epi. When I got it, they also increased the pitocin. While the epi provided quite a bit of relief, I was still not able to "sleep" b/c I could still feel the contractions. From then on I was able to rest until the doc came in and said that I was ready to start pushing. In three hrs I went from 5cm to 10, I guess b/c of the amount of pitocin.  The doctor also said that River was posterior and that I'd have to push for 2-2 1/2 hrs.  Yikes!  However, after a few pushes he turned over! I pushed for less than an hr and he was born. It was so amazing!   They put him on my chest and suggested I try to feed him right away and he latched right on. (we've no real problems with feeding since then!)

After getting all stitched up and "put back together", Todd took River down to the nursery for his first bath and to get a complete "look over". I'm pretty sure I slept that whole time. They tried to get me up and to the bathroom, but I almost passed out and would've if they wouldn't have put the ammonia in my face.  I was put in a recovery room and was told I couldn't get out of bed without a nurse. I finally started feeling better and after a few hrs was able to get up on my own.

I guess it was a pretty typical birth story.  Not my exact birth plan, but the outcome was worth it no matter how it happened! :)

And here are a few pictures of the amazing miracle I've been waiting for, for so long!


 Aunt Meg made the pillow cover and the quilt in the next two pictures.





I know, he's just perfect! :)

He really is a good baby. We've taken him out to eat several times already, to the outlets, church, and several doctor appointments and he just sleeps the whole time or quietly looks around.  He does have his days and nights mixed up and naps for 4 or 5 hrs a day while at night only sleeps 2, but he's getting better. Last night I almost got 4 full hrs of uninterrupted sleep! :)  I feel blessed to have such an "easy" baby, let's hope it stays this way!

4 comments:

Megan said...

I LOVE THOSE PICTURES!!! So stinkin' cute. He is precious.

Deborah said...

Tiffany, he is just gorgeous!! I know you are such a good momma!

Stefanie said...

Did you take these pictures? I love the video of you walking around, although I'm sure you weren't enjoying it at the time! I'm so excited he was here. And I know it wasn't the exact birth you wanted, but it wasn't about you not being strong. I mean, hello! Who wants to go through all that mess for longer than 24 hours? You go girl. He's beautiful

Kim Hodges said...

Thanks for posting the story! I've been so eager to read it! Everybody's story is so different. begotten my epi at 3cm with Johnathan, too! So glad he flipped for you. Way to go!! Hope we can meet River this summer!