Thursday, August 12, 2010

New Job

As most of you know, I have a new job this school year.   I'll be teaching in district 20 which in Colorado is the "destination" district! :)  A couple facts about D20:  our CSAP (state testing scores) ranked the district at #1 in the STATE for schools with over 6,000 students!  Also the district has a 91% high school graduation rate.  The school itself also has pretty good stats. I am in a different world.  For the pst six year I've only taught in Title 1 Schools with the last school being the lowest income.  While the school itself doesn't seem to have much money (b/c they don't get the title one funds) the parents and families have money and are more than willing to donate to school programs and activities.  Did I mention this is a different world!!

I'm excited to get started and to see how I handle the new and different challenges of working in a school like Rockrimmon.

My classroom is insanely small and the school has no storage so that is going to be one inconvience I'm going to have to overcome.  I've rearranged the entire classroom and I think it looks pretty good.  Here are a few pictures.

This is what you see when you first walk in the door. Im going to change the bulletin boards.

When you look to your right, the "teacher corner". Those back three black panels are a chalk board, I plan on using it as my "Birthday Board" where the kids are able to write their name when it's their birthday week. 

This is from the other side of the classroom.


I have a stage! This is also the cafeteria, but there are curtains that you pull around the "back" of the stage!

I love that they have a climbing wall in the gym AND they actually USE it! :)


And I really love these signs. apparently there have been several bear sightings on campus! So cool!


I've been in teacher workdays all week and the kids come back on Monday! It's gonna be exciting and very tiring.  I'm always shocked at how tired I am after a summer of rest!  

Oh yea, and my first program is supposed to be mid-September! (remember I only see the kids once a week) Yikes! That'll be interesting.   

I'll keep you updated.  And thanks for continue to check my blog! :)


4 comments:

Stefanie said...

So, I see you have risers. Will you be using the risers for your classes, or are there chairs? Does this mean you'll have a choral group? A mid-September show is close, but you'll have a great time with it!

Aunt Donna said...

Oh, Tiffany, you are going to do such a great job! The kids are going to LOVE you and they will enjoy performing whatever you decide to help them do. Wish I could be a fly on the wall in your classroom. I know I would love it!! :) Hope you have a wonderful year.

Oh, and thanks for the blog! You can put so many more details in a blog than FB, and you know I'm all about the details. :) I love hearing the enthusiasm in your "voice" as you write it.

Mom said...

Looks beautiful. It sounds like you are going to have another fun and challenging year, but in a whole new way. You will do great because you are a fabulous teacher. Love the blog update. I will be checking for more. (In between FB and phone calls. :)

Kim Hodges said...

Have fun in D20, and enjoy your snow days!