Sunday, August 15, 2010

My Blanket

I've always enjoyed crocheting.  I remember spending the night at Grandmomi's house, watching old black and white movies or "The Christmas Story, drinking coke floats and learning to crochet.  I don't remember how old I was when I learned to crochet a chain, but I do remember learning to put it all together in late high school.  

I've made a few scarves, baby blankets, afghans, and baby booties but have not really gotten into the detailed difficult work.  I enjoy making up my own patterns.  Pretty much as long as you have the same number of loops as the row before you're good when making blankets and scarves.    I loved coming up with new stitches to make texture and patterns in whatever I was making.  

Well, over the years I've accumulated many balls of yarn that I kept in a huge basket.  When I moved into the new house I decided that I didn't want that basket laying around anymore so I was going to take all of the extra yarn and make a crazy, mismatched, large, afghan.  When I started the project I couldn't decide on a "pattern" that I wanted to use or one that I like more than others. So I decided to go back to my younger years when Grandmomi taught me how to crochet and use the simple single stitch she taught me.  

AND.... I finished my blanket today!  It is as long and as big as my queen size bed!  I thought I'd share some pictures of my accomplishment.  

There are so many memories in the blanket and I'd like to share some of those with you....

The bottom yarn (before the boarder) is an antique yarn that I found in an old school shed when I was working in California.  I found two skeins, this red/multi-colored one and the purple and brown on on the other end. 
The grey yarn was used in scarf where I realized I could make up my own "patterns".
Under the grey there is a brown chenille yarn that I used to make my mom a scarf for christmas.  
And under the brown chenille there is a purple, green, cream and brown yard that I used to make my first afghan ever!
The black right above the red is left over from the slippers I made for my principal and assistant principal last Christmas.
The large pink in the middle is left over from some baby booties I made for a friend in North Carolina.

The fuzzy pink matched with the fuzzy black was from a scarf that I started for my cousin Rachael Clark and the purple right below it is from the scarf I made for her sister Hannah. :)  The black and white under the blue and green yard was also used for rachaels scarf (I'm not sure I ever finished it!)

I could go on and on about all of the yarns that are in this afghan.  They all have a story.  The afghan as a whole has a story as well, I started this crocheted most of this during the wedding planning and within the first couple months of our marriage.  I will think of Grandmomi b/c without her teaching me the "simple" single stitch I couldn't have done this!  And of course I will think about all the people I bought the different yarn for in the first place! 

8 comments:

Aunt Donna said...

Oh, Tiff, I love the afghan and I love the story! What memories that blanket will continue to trigger every time you get it out and use it. I love the different textures in it as you used different weights of yarn. Way to go. Love this post!!

Aunt Donna - again! said...

Oh, and I noticed your wedding "tree" in the frame in the background. :) I just love that idea!

Stefanie said...

What a great story! Glad you finally used the yarn and made something so great. That pink/black fuzzy yarn looks familiar. I have a scarf you made me with that exact yarn (I think).
:)

Aunt Becky said...

I love this post!!! And I love the afghan. What a special story it tells. Grandmomi will be so thrilled to hear about this.

Deborah said...

This is incredible! How cool that you have one blanket that tells so many stories and holds so many memories. Thanks for sharing!

Elizabeth said...

What a great idea to make the blanket full of different yarn that remind you of others in your life...especially your Grandmommi! I cannot imagine how long that took...it is huge!

Anonymous said...

What a great "story-book" you have! I enjoyed reading about your memories. They truly are "precious".

Mom said...

This was a great post. Thanks for sharing all your stories. We always look forward to crocheted items from you. My afgan is the BEST! It is sooo heavy, it just holds you down and forces you to be warm. I love it!