Tuesday, August 09, 2011

My "rag quilt" and some other cute stuff

River did not and has never like being swaddled.  But I got tons of swaddling blankets from friends, family and myself (because every baby I've ever known has loved being swaddled).  So I had stacks of swaddling blankets in his nursery that were not being use.  I use a couple of them as burb cloths and nursing covers, but there were still alot left over.  He needed a bigger playmat and after looking all over for one that I like, I finally decided I'd be brave and make my own. I had seen the version of "rag quilts" made into squares, but I wanted to make it simpler. Like this one Little did I know, simpler still takes days when doing something new!  here is the process:  (you will probably need to click on the pictures to see them larger)

Step 1: Gather about seven different but coordinated flannel fabrics (in this case his swaddling balnkets)
Step 2: Cut the fabric into three and seven inch strips. You'll need a front and back to each size.  This would've been much easier with the proper tools, but all I had were scissors.
Step 3:  You'll need white flannel to use as the "filler" for the quilt (I'm sure there is a proper name for "filler", but it works for me) Cut the white flannel in 3 and 7 in strips as well. You'll need one for every pair of patterned flannel you cut. 
Step 4: "sandwich" (again, I'm sure there is a technical term for this) the whit flannel inside the two matching strips of patterned flannel with right sides out.  Sew down the middle to hold it all together (my pictures doesn't show this well)
Step 5: Lay out the strips in a pattern that you like.  This is where I realized I cut WAY too many strips and I still have tons of flannel fabric left over.
Step 6: Take the first two strips and sew right sides together with a 1/4 in seam allowance.  This is where a nice cutting board and round blade would've helped tremendously as my scissor cuts were NOT straight. 

Step 7: Cut little slits in the fabric like the picture shows.  This is where I made my BIG MISTAKE which I will talk about later.  Lets just say, only go 1/2 way down, don't cut to the thread. 
Step 8: do this with all the strips until it is done.  
Step 9: create a binding around the quilt.  I will happily admit that I had no clue what a binding was or how to do it.  I used this video to walk me through it step by step "How to bind a quilt". I'm still not pleased with the corners but it will do.
Step 10: Wash and dry so that the "rag" part becomes more raggedy. :)

These were pictures I took before, during and after the blanket making process. (which took me almost a week)  
 There was a beautiful double rainbow one night!
 Not sure who lives at the end of the rainbow, but I wonder if they are small and wear green!
 This is our new family pet. His name is "fluffy".
 I've really enjoyed staying home with my little man this summer. I go back to work tomorrow which is not fair!  Life's not fair.... at least I like my job this year! :)
 As I was working on the blanket Monster got ahold of it and started chewing  on it.
 This was cute because his bopper (paci) fell on the side of his bumbo and he was concentrating so hard to pick it up.
 Love love love this little guy

Now for the story of what happened to the quilt.  Apparently I cut the fringe to close to the stitches.  When I took it out of the wash it was completely falling apart.  I was worried that after days of working on it, I had ruined it. BUT I was able to save it!  I just pinned and re-stitched.  The lines aren't as straight but you wouldn't notice if you didn't make it.  Good as new!

6 comments:

Kristi Petrak said...

Great job, taking what didn't work and putting it together to be a blanket! Nice ingenuity :) Love the pictures of River--what a sweetheart :)

Deborah said...

WHat a precious little quilt!!! Frankly, I'm glad you didn't use any "technical terms" because I wouldn't have had a clue what you were talking about!

LOVE the 3-month shots, by the way!!!

Aunt Donna said...

Cute quilt, Tiffany! Way to tackle a new job and come out on the other side! :) Looks like River likes it too.

I also love those 3 month photos. He is so precious.

Stefanie said...

You're so crafty :) And that's a super cute baby

Mom said...

Love the quilt too! I'm glad you were able to save it after the wash. Of course, I love all the sweet little pictures of River. I need some to hold in my hands though! Hint, Hint!

Megan said...

Nice tutorial! Im impressed! Great job on the quilt too! I made one of those one time too=)