Sunday, March 04, 2012

One little trick

In the past month, River has become a picky eater.  Arg.  Just a month ago the child would eat anything in site, but now if it's green (even avocado) he won't touch it.   So, I had to get creative....
 
Yep, that's veggies in pancake batter.  I'm not sure if the pancake batter is "good" for him, but if I can get a veggie in him without him throwing a fit, I'll take it!
I took zucchini and yellow squash and cut them with my fantastic Pampered Chef Mandoline  (it really is amazing, if you'd like to order one let me know).  Then I put a drop of pancake batter* in the pan and put a slice of the veggie on top of the drop. I pushed it down to flatten the batter out to the size of the veggie. Then I put a drop of batter on the top.  When it was cooked I flipped it and pressed it down again.
 What does the critic think..... "what pancakes for a snack!?!" 
 "These are GREAT"
"I don't believe I get pancakes for a snack" (he doesn't even notice the veggie!)
 As soon as he finished this one he signed "more".  SUCCESS!!!  
 I was so pleased with how these turned out, I actually made some "dessert" ones for him with bananas.  He has a texture issue with finger foods, if it doesn't feel like bread or a cherrio he won't touch it.  These are perfect finger food trainers!  


*I keep my pancake batter in an old ketchup bottle in the fridge. This makes it easy to make those "drops" of pancakes. 

3 comments:

Rachel said...

This. Is. Brilliant. We are having the same problem with Logan, and he has perfected the art of tantrum throwing already! I have a PC Mandoline, but I haven't tried it yet--guess I will now! :) Thanks!!

Deborah said...

So smart! The pancake in the ketchup bottle is such a great idea too.

I never dreamed that becoming a mommy would mean I had to have tricks up my sleeve all the time. I'm guessing you are now discovering that same realizaton!

Megan said...

I miss him so much! This is a great idea!!!! Maybe I can do this with kole....although he'd probably figure me out. LOL